Udaipur, a treasure trove of palaces, lakes and forts is one of the most visited places in North India. Situated in Rajasthan, this majestic city used to be the capital of the Mewar region after Akbar captured Chittorgarh by defeating Udai Singh. This is a city where you can live life king size (literally). From food to shopping to being carried on top of camels and horses, this city makes you feel like royalty.
Best time to visit:
The city is bustling with tourists (both Indians and foreigners) all year round, but the weather is at its best in the winter months i.e., from October to March.
Ways to reach Udaipur:
- By air - The Udaipur airport is named after Maharana Pratap, the son of Udai Singh. Udaipur has frequent flights from Delhi, Jaipur, Chennai, Banglore, Kolkata. Depending on where in the city you have to go, Ola or Uber generally would charge you between 500-800 bucks.
- By train - There is well connected with all major cities of India via trains from Udaipur. Ahmedabad takes around 10 hours to reach, Mumbai 17 hours and Delhi 12 hours.
- By bus - Buses ply quite frequently between different cities of Rajasthan. Ajmer takes about 8 hrs, Jaipur and Bikaner about 9 hrs.
- By road - Udaipur is well connected by roads with Ahmedabad at 257 km, Jodhpur at 260 km, Ajmer 307 km and Jaipur at 421 km.
Places to stay:
If you are in Udaipur, you should stay at a palace kind of resort because you may not get this chance anywhere else. So some of the majestic stays are-
Raddison Blu- Remember the gala wedding of Kalki which goes on for days in the movie Yeh Jawani Hai Deewani? We bet you do! The destination wedding was held in the Raddison Blu resort of Udaipur. It’s the resort that you won’t even feel bad to splurge on; it’s that beautiful. The architecture, the interiors, lighting, poolside areas are all magnificent. Rooms start from 4500 per night and go up till 10000 per night.
Fateh Prakash Palace- Another palace with superb suites, this place will have your heart, mind and soul the moment you reach here. The mosaic paintings in the hallway are always the talk of the town and there are several other historic and colloquial items that you would enjoy looking. Cost of rooms ranges from 7500 to 18000 per night.
Ramada Udaipur- Located conveniently at the Rampura Circle, Ramada is gorgeous in and out. The spas are one of a kind and would completely relax and rejuvenate you from your chaotic schedule. Rooms again range from 4500 to 8000. The Sajjangarh Fort is quite close by, so make sure to visit it no matter what.
But if you are looking for some budget-friendly options, then you may like-
- Hotel Dayal- Located near Shastri Circle, this hotel has decent rooms and good service. If you are looking for a hotel that is close to the railway station, then this is your pick. The deluxe room is 1900 per night.
- Hotel Dream Palace- Situated on Link Road, this hotel has amazing architecture and interiors. The yellow colour theme would sure be lifting up your spirits and you can have some Instagram worthy pictures taken right out of the main entrance with the entire hotel in the frame. It is around 22 km from the airport and rooms start from 2000 per night.
- Hotel Kingdom Palace- Yet another hotel with drool-worthy interiors, Kingdom Palace would be a wonderful stay without burning your pockets. It’s just 2 km away from Lake Pichhola and rooms are 2200 per night.
- Hotel Madurai- Madurai is another hotel near Lake Pichola which is a decent stay and is quite inexpensive. The rooms start at just 1000 rupees per night and they are quite comfortable with all the basic amenities.
Places to visit:
There are various eye-catching buildings and places all over the city.
- Lake Palace in Udaipur is built on side banks of the lake and is a 200-year-old architectural site which is very scenic.
- Lake Pichola is a lake around city famous for boat rides.
- Saheliyon ki bari is a popular garden with fountains and a science museum
- Other places to visit are Fateh Sagar Lake, Monsoon Palace, Jagdish Temple, Sajjangarh Biological park, Nehru Garden. There are many other Garden, Ghats, Museum which can be visited.
- Mewar Festival - Mewar celebration is seen to respect the entry of spring season (March/April). The celebration is particularly implied for ladies and offers the best time when they dress in their best garments and join the festivals of the fest. Subsequent to dressing the icons, they convey them in a conventional parade going through various parts of the city. In the past, the parade makes its turn towards the Gangaur Ghat at Pichola Lake. At the point when this religious part gets over, individuals connect with into different moves, melodies and other social occasions uncovering the way of life of Rajasthan. Mewar celebration is finished up with a sparkling show of firecrackers.
- Shilpgram Crafts Fair - Shilpgram Mela is held yearly in the west of the city of Udaipur in the long stretch of November/December. This market has hand-woven garments, weavings, reflect works and crafted works. The hand-woven garments and camel calfskin things catch the significant eye of guests in this reasonable.
Must eat foods in Udaipur:
The local Rajasthani cuisine known for its variety and its appetizing nature can make anyone drool over it. The Daal Baati-Churma is a must try. Ghevar, Pyaj Kachori, Gajak are other foods and sweets to try. Also try Bread Pakoda, Mirchi Pakoda.
Shopping and local markets:
There are a variety of markets ranging from cultural items to textiles and antique jewellery, leather items.
- Bada Bazar: It’s the place where everything Rajasthani is found from the clothes to souvenirs, Jewellery made from camel bone. very unique items can be found here.
- Chetak Circle: It’s known for handicrafts, brass jewellery, also for spices and herbs.
- Bapu Bazar: It’s known for grabbing souvenirs, here one may find things for everyone and with it, you can also enjoy scrumptious street food.
- Shilpgram: Gives a glimpse of Rural Rajasthan, beautiful mud huts and wooden houses. It’s popular for items like handmade paintings, wooden furniture, pottery and clothes.
Festival Calendar of Udaipur
|Feb||World Music Festival|
|April||• Mewar Festival (8-10 April, 2019)|
|May||Shagun Lifestyle N Wedding Expo 2018 (18th May, 2018 – 19:00) |
Summer Blast Festival - 25th May
|Aug||• India Adventure – Camels & Canines & Cows, Oh My! (21st Aug, 2018 – 20:00)|