Rishikesh, a beautiful city in Uttarakhand, is the place where river Ganges enters the plains from the Himalayas. It is a city famous for its religious attractions. The Char Dham Yatra marks its onset from this city. Rishikesh is also quite popular among all the yoga enthusiasts. The serene aura set at the backdrop of the gorgeous Himalayas with its snow-covered hills and pleasant winds is just the perfect location for you to connect with your inner soul and spend some time in solidarity.
Best time to visit Rishikesh:
The best time to visit Rishikesh is anytime except May and June. The summers get quite hot and sticky here. If you want to go river rafting then. The ideal time is September- October or March-April.
Ways to reach Rishikesh:
- By air - The nearest airport is in Dehradun and it is 35 km away. You can get buses or taxi service from here to reach Rishikesh. The nearest international airport is at Delhi.
- By train – The nearest railway station is at Haridwar, which is 25 km away. You can get a cab from here.
- By bus – Buses ply frequently between all major cities of Uttarakhand. There is a bus from Dehradun, Haridwar, Mussoorie, Nainital. From Delhi also there are both ac and non-ac buses which take 6-7 hours to reach Rishikesh. You can also get private buses from cities like Pushkar, Jaipur and Varanasi.
- By road – Road is a good option if you are travelling with family and plan to move around the city a lot. Roads are well constructed so it will be a memorable road trip. You can even see nearby cities as well this way.
Places to stay in Rishikesh:
- Zostel Rishikesh- It is on NH 58 and quite a comfy stay. There are rooms available both on sharing basis and private rooms. 8 share rooms are rupees 400 per night. Private deluxe rooms are 2100 per night.
- Raahi Hotel- It is called the traveller’s nest because of its popularity. The prices start at 1500 per night.
- Other notable hotels are-
- Green Land Swiss Cottage
- Aloha on the Ganges
- Hotel Ishan
- Rishikesh Grand
- Divine Resort
- Hotel Paras Plaza
- Holiday Inn
Places to visit in Rishikesh:
- Laxman and Ram Jhula are iron bridges suspended over river Ganga and give a serene view of it.
- Tryambkeshwar Temple
- Beatles ashram. Yes, it’s called Beatles ashram after the Beatles visited it in ’60s.
- Shivpuri is a place near Rishikesh and is famous for camping, trekking and other adventurous activities.
- Triveni ghat- visit this place during evening and attend the Ganga Aarti.
- Kaudiyala-it’s one of the best water rafting zones in the world.
- Neer Garh waterfall- it’s the perfect gateway for trekking.
- Jumping Heights- this place offers bungee jumping and is a must visit the place.
- Swarg Ashram, Rishi kund, Vashishta Gufa are also worth a visit.
Festivals in Rishikesh:
- There is an International Kayak festival in February.
- Kumbh Mela is a mass gathering of pilgrims, all around the world. It is held in the months of April and May in Allahabad, Nashik, Haridwar and Ujjain. People also come to Rishikesh after that.
- International Yoga festival is in November.
Must eat food in Rishikesh:
Some of the famous restaurants in Rishikesh are-
- Ganga Beach Restaurant
- Honey Hut
- Tulsi Restaurant
- Oasis Restaurant
- Bistro Nirvana
- 60’s Café
Must eat foods are-
- Pakodas of all kinds
- Chole Kulche
- Smoothies and lassi
- Poori sabzi
Shopping and local markets in Rishikesh:
Here are a few things to buy from Rishikesh if you are a shopaholic-
- Puja items like aromatic agarbattis, yoga mats etc.
- Bhajan CDs- if you like devotional music, then you will get a bizarre range of CDs here that you can buy for you as souvenirs.
- Precious and semi-precious stones are also quite in demand here. You can either get them customized for you as a ring or as a pendant for your chain.
- Markets to shop are- Rishikesh Main Market, Ganapati Gems Paradise, Swargashram, Lakshman Jhula.
Tips for visiting Rishikesh:
- Best hotels can be found near High Bank, Lakshman Jhula, and Swarg Ashram.
- Don’t miss the morning aarti at Triveni Ghat. It’s one of a kind.
- If you are planning to go during the Kumbh Mela time, book your hotels beforehand as they fill up quickly.
- Enjoy as many adventure sports as you can.
- Drink water regularly to stay hydrated.
Festival Calendar of Rishikesh
|Feb||International Kayak Festival|
|Nov||International Yoga Festival|