Kochi (also known as Cochin) is a city in southwest India's coastal Kerala state. It has been a port since 1341 when a flood carved out its harbour and opened it to Arab, Chinese and European merchants. Sites reflecting those influences include Fort Kochi, a settlement with tiled colonial bungalows and diverse houses of worship. Cantilevered Chinese fishing nets, typical of Kochi, have been in use for centuries. This city is the biggest urban city in Kerala.
Best time to visit:
The best time to visit Kochi is from October to February. Being a coastal city, summer months are quite hot and humid with temperatures in the mid 30s. Winter is pleasant with the cool breeze and moderate temperatures in the range 17-20 degree Celsius. Monsoons are also best if you like to witness the rain-washed splendour of the city.
Ways to get there:
By air- Kochi International Airport is the 4th busiest airport in India. It is located at a distance of 30 km from the main city. Kochi airport has regular flight connectivity to the Middle East and south Asian countries.
By road- Kochi is well connected by road and is on national highways 544, 966 and 66. The
By water- Kochi can be reached by water from cities like Mumbai, Goa, Lakshadweep, Kottayam and Alleppey. There are cruise ships and yachts that connect these cities.
By rail- Kochi is well connected with rail tracks to all big cities in India. The Ernakulam rail junction is the more popular one.
By bus- There are many Kerala State Run Transport Corporation buses that connect Kochi to all major cities of India. AC and Deluxe buses are available from Hyderabad, Bangalore, Trivandrum and Chennai.
Places to live:
- If you are up for some luxury stays in Kochi, the best options are-
- Radisson Blu
- Treebo Crown Suites
- Hotel Tranvancore Court
- Marriott Hotel
- Hotel Trident
The charges per room are 3000-8000 per night.
- If you are looking for some economical stays, then the best places are-
- Hotel White Residency
- Hotel Evershine Residency
- Maple Regency
- Baywatch Beach Homes
The charges per room are 2000-5000 per night.
Major festivals celebrated here are-
- Holi in March/ April
- Onam in August
- Diwali in October/ November
Places to see:
Places where you can eat:
- Keerikadans in Panampilly Nagar is one of the most famous food joints. It is famous for fast food and seafood. Do eat the bamboo biryani here.
- Sky Grill is famous for its starters and desserts. You must try the kebabs and grilled salmon.
- Fort Housse Restaurant- Try the appams, mango lassi and kerala chicken curry
- Kashi Art Café- It is famous for its sandwiches and chocolate cake
- The Rice Boat- Try the crab soup and fish grill
Shopping in Kochi:
Here is the list of all the top places to shop in Kochi-
- Ernakulam market- You will get textile, jewellery and crockery stores in this market. The prices can be bargained and quality is nice as well. There are also a few movie theatres here for entertainment.
- Bazaar Road at Fort Cochin- It is the best wholesale market and is filled with shops that sell aromatic spices. The Coromandel coast is famous for spices and you should surely take home the best quality ones from here.
- Lulu mall is the one-stop destination in Kochi. Present in Netaji nagar, you can buy clothes, eat food and enjoy recreational activities as well.
- Stay hydrated. There are fresh juices, coconut water and lassi available easily on roads. Keep sipping them.
- Drink the finest coffee. You will not get coffee this good anywhere else.
- Don’t miss the best veg thali at Hotel Saravana Bhavan
- Eat the myriad varieties of fish available
Festival Calendar of Kochi
|Dec||Christmas, Kochi Carnival, New Year's Eve|