Auli is a gorgeous place right in the lap of the Himalayas and a perfect place for all adventure lovers. Famous for skiing, this city holds some breathtakingly beautiful views from the top of the hills. It is very close to the famous city of Badrinath. The flora and fauna are quite alluring as well.
Best time to visit in Auli:
Best time to visit is December to March when the mountains are covered with snow and you get to play with snowballs or make a snowman. Spring season is also equally beautiful with flowers of all kinds blooming all around.
Ways to reach Auli:
- By air - The nearest airport is in Dehradun which is 17km from Auli. There are frequent buses and cabs that you can take from this place.
- By train – By train, you can go up till Haridwar and take a cab from there. Haridwar is 300 km from Auli.
- By bus – State-owned and private buses ply daily from Auli to Dehradun, Badrinath, Rishikesh and Delhi.
- By road – If you are travelling from Joshimath, then Auli is just 16 km away. From other cities, it is not advised to drive by your own as the roads are serpentine with very dangerous slopes and turns.
Places to stay in Auli:
Some amazing places to stay are-
- Alpine Cottages
- Clifftop Club
- XRA Cottage
Places to visit in Auli:
- Vishnuprayag- It is situated at the confluence of the Alakananda and the Dauliganga river. It is one of the five famous prayags. The peaceful mountains and the soothing sound of the gushing rivers will give you solace.
- Bhavishya Kedar- Assumed to be the place where Lord Shiva and Goddess Parvati will be worshipped after the Kalyug, this place is famous for all Shivbhakts.
- Badrinath Temple- Badrinath is close by to Auli and is the home to Vishnu mandir which is assumed to be built in the 7th century. This place is filled with pilgrims all-round the year.
- Narsingh Temple- Located in the lower bazaar area of Joshimath, this place is the home to Lord Narsingh.
- Laga Salude Mosque- This mosque is located on the Badrinath- Joshimath highway and you get to see a panoramic view of the hills and the valleys from here.
Festivals in Auli:
- The ski festival is held from January to March when the participants ski from the highest to the lowest slope. It attracts a lot of tourists every year and is perfect for anyone who wants to conquer their fear of heights and learn to ski.
Must eat foods in Auli:
- Devi Darshan- Located near army helipad this restaurant offers some lip-smacking Indian food along with pristinely gorgeous hillside view.
- Roxy Hotel- This place has some amazing Chinese cuisine. The soup and the noodles are a must try.
- Clifftop view- Located at an altitude of 10,000, this restaurant is a treat to both the eyes and the stomach.
- Nanda Devi Mithai- After a wholesome meal, head to Nanda Devi Sweet House to relish the mithayis here. The motichoor ke laddu is a must try here.
- Manoranjan Cakes and Bakes- Located on NH 58, this place is perfect for an evening confectionary craving. The freshly baked bread and pastries are too yum to be ignored.
Shopping and local markets in Auli:
Markets are low key here but you will get anything and everything that you may need ranging from crockery to blankets and beautiful shawls to gift items and souvenirs.
Some market areas are-
- Chinka Bazaar
- Joshimath Market
- Lower Market
Festival Calendar of Auli
|Jan||Auli Skiing Festival|
|Feb||Losar Festival(During Tibetian New Year), Auli Winter Carnival|
|Sept||Mata Murti ka Mela Badrinath|