India's own Tibet
Mcleodganj, is small hill station near Dharamshala, It’s a world famous place because of being abode to Tibetian Spiritual leader Dalai Lama. It has an alluring blend of Tibetan and British culture. It’s an abode of greenery situated between majestic hills and that is why huge number of tourist and trekkers visit here every year. Few of most eminent monasteries in India are situated here. Mcleodganj is truly a heaven for nature lovers and a got to place.
Photos of Mcleodganj News of Mcleodganj
Weather ReportMCLEOD GANJ WEATHER
- Best Time: November to May
- Mcleodganj is also called Upper Dharmshalla
- Visit Dharamshala Stadium
- Always carry water bottle as it can cost you upto Rs 50/litre($0.8 per bottle))
- ATM and banks are limited in the region
- Always use walking sticks for better stability while trekking or on rough terrain
- Mcleodganj is known for it's hidden gems like 'Pizzaria', recommended to visit this place
|Jan||Halda: Celebration for 2 days on arrival of New Year|
|Feb||Himachal Winter Carnival|
|Mar||Celebration of Losar where vajrakilaya tradition is practised|
|Jun||Butoh Dance Festival|
|Dec||International Himalayan Festival|
Description of Mcleodganj
Best Time to Visit: -Travellers flock around Mcleodganj whole year round. Winters and summers here are the best time to visit due to the pleasant days. Avoid visiting during monsoon because it rains heavily here.
Connectivity : -Mcleodganj does not have regular flights and nearest airport is 3km away which is Dharamshala, nearest railway station is Amb Anduara which is 65 km away. There are regular busses from the major neighboring cities.
Places to stay: -There are many options for stay from guest house, resorts, hotels and also hostels in Mcleodganj.
Things to do in Mcleodganj: -
Sightseeing: -There are various eye catching scenes all over the place. When it comes to this Mcleodganj first thing that comes in mind is trekking those beautiful hills, it rejuvenates one’s senses, Triund is popular for trekking in this Mcleodganj.
Bhangsu falls are breathtakingly beautiful and cannot be missed.
Namgyal Monastery is also a place for which Mcleodganj is popular.
Bhagsunath Temple has some very scenic views.
Other places to visit are Dharamkot, Dal Lake, Tsuglagkhang, and Tibetan Museum.
Food: -The local is influenced by Tibetan culture
One needs to try following foods over visit to Mcleodganj
Thenthuck-It’s a Tibetan soup, and is very staple.
Momos, Tibetan noodles and bread they are one of their kind.
Bok choy, Thukpa are two more types of soups popular in region.
Apple cider is also popular in Mcleodganj
Shopping or markets: -There are variety of markets ranging from cultural items to handicrafts and traditional art work.
1. Norbulingka Shop-Known for its high quality handicraft products and nice museum and a very good café.
2. Nowrojee general store- It’s one of oldest store in Mcleodganj and is popular for Tibetan items which are very rare to find and daily necessity items.
3. Kotwali Bazar-It’s known for alluring sculotures , murals, paintings, handicrafts in this beautiful shops here.